Pic of the week

Pic of the week
Brad Beaver

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Talking Points #5 "In the service of what the politics of service learning" by Joseph Kahne and Joel Westheimer

   This piece was a breakdown of two cases of service learning, Mr. Johnson's government course and Ms. Adams class. Mr. Johnson allowed his students to pick their own service learning project while Ms. Adams had her students identify issues of common concern and then voted to focus on the issue of homelessness.
   This work examines the moral, political, and intellectual goals that motivate those who support service learning. In my eyes this is pointless to argue over whether it is labeled as 'giving' or 'caring.' Service learning is just that. It is a service you perform and learn from. I think that this project is a extremely beneficial part of education. It is also beneficial to be involved and useful in one's community. This project can change student understanding of knowledge in the field and the social and cultural issues with which they are a part of. Everyone benefits from service learning. The people being served, the students, the elderly, and the homeless. Many schools around the country are implementing where each student is required to complete 75 hours of volunteer work in order to graduate. One can only come away from a project like this feeling better about themselves and about the community they live in. Completing my service learning in the city of Providence has opened my eyes. I am looking forward to continuing because I need this just as much as the third grade class I am working with. This is beneficial for all of us.

3 comments:

  1. i agree with what you have said that it beneficial for students to do this it will teach them a great experience in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the part of it being a good thing for everyone. Yet I feel like sometimes the fact that it is mandatory makes students look at it as a chore or something they have to do. This is unfortunate but I know several people that felt this way. However it can also help someone who would not normally have done it if it was not mandatory find that they really like helping out as well, I think it just depends on the person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you and how you like doing the service learning for FNED. At first I was a little apprehensive and I thought I might find it tedious but once I got in the classroom with the kids I loved every minute of it!

    ReplyDelete